Tuesday, June 29, 2010

A Few of my Favorite Things - Summer Style

It is summer time and the living is easy. At least that is what a song or ad...well, I've heard that expression somewhere before! I'm sure the writer was referring to the more casual lifestyle that a lot of us adapt to in the summer months. My schedule and activities don't really change that much as the seasons change. However, I do spend lots more time outdoors. If it isn't dark and I want to settle in with a good book, you will find me out on our patio. If the grandkids are visiting, they are playing outside and I'm right there with them. Which kinda brings me to the title of my post.

Sitting on our patio on Sunday afternoon I realized that I am thankful for outdoor ceiling fans. It was a very hot and humid day but the breeze created by the fan made it comfortable enough to spend some quality reading time there. When I paused to thank God for ceiling fans, I felt a prompting to think about other things I am thankful for. So here is my summer time list:
soft breezes, watching tree branches move in the wind, lightning bugs, watching my grandson catch lightning bugs, sunsets, the smell of freshly mown grass, homemade ice cream, grilled hamburgers, home grown tomatoes & squash & corn & all sorts of veggies, my backyard garden and the farmers' market, heat lightning, the sound of summer bugs, the sound of rain, distant rumbles of thunder, camping, watching the Perseids meteor shower in August, night time starry skies, vacation planning.....

These are all things that bring a smile to my face and a lifting in my spirit. No matter what life storm or circumstance I am in. Taking time to acknowledge those gifts from God and to thank Him for them brings me closer to Him. It takes my focus off the negative and onto the good. It is a surefire cure for the Eve syndrome. (You know that propensity we have to look at what we don't have while ignoring the abundance of what we do have.-)

I hope this inspires you to make your own list of your favorite things - summer style. Want to share? Then just post a comment below. All comments are moderated so it may take a few hours for yours to show up, but please be patient...it will!

Happy summer y'all!
Molly

No comments:

Post a Comment

Google Analytics Alternative