Sunday, February 13, 2011

The Mid-Winter Thaw

Mmmmm. The warmth of the sun and rising temps today did more than melt the mounds of snow and ice. It also melted the dreariness that had settled into my spirit.

I know that I am not alone in relishing this mid-winter thaw. Everywhere I went today, people were smiling and commenting on the beautiful weather. Cars were lined up at all of the local carwash businesses waiting their turn to wash off the salt and road grime from their cars. (Alas, mine was not one of them. Each time I thought I might squeeze in a clean up, it seemed the lines were even longer!) I saw lots of folks out walking and jogging. After weeks of winter this brief hint of spring is a welcome gift, one to savor and be thankful for.

Of course I know winter is not over. We still have a few weeks to go before we can truly say below freezing temps and chances of snow are gone for good. However, days like today are bright spots that keep me going. They lift my spirits and give me renewed strength to face the next onslaught of winter. Instead of bemoaning the fact winter is not over, I rejoice in the beauty of today. I accept the gift.

When I am facing a winter in my soul, I believe God sends the same bright spots of hope to strengthen me for the continuing journey. But I have to recognize them for what they are. It is my choice. I can continue to moan, groan and complain about my circumstances, questioning why God isn't changing things to my liking. OR I can look for and be thankful for the rays of hope He sends. They come in many ways, perhaps through a phone call from a friend or an uplifting song on the radio. Maybe it is a smile from a loved one or a warm loaf of bread delivered from that special cook.

I've experienced each of these and more. They were reminders that God loves me. He doesn't leave me to wander through a soul winter alone, without hope.

I wish I could tell you that I go through all of my trials with a continuous smile on my face, praising Jesus. I really wish I could.

However, I am more apt to pull up a chair and have a pity party, with or without company. I tell God I know He is in control and He is working it out, then moments later find myself again in despair over the 'no end in sight' trial.

Today's mid-winter thaw reminded me to be more pro-active in looking for His moments of warmth and sunshine in my soul winters.

...Hmmmm

Be still and know that He is God, the Giver of all good gifts.

Hugs,
Molly

No comments:

Post a Comment

Google Analytics Alternative