Friday, April 22, 2011

A Good Friday Reflection

Good Friday…

I have a difficult time accepting the word good as a description of what happened on that pivotal day in human history. Yes, it is good that God’s plan of redemption was fulfilled. But the magnitude of sacrifice that Jesus willingly made is almost too much for my heart to bear.

The hatred…the ridicule…the 'to the brink of death' scourging.

The incomprehensible pain and suffering of death by crucifixion.

Even more horrific, the time when God the Father turned away from the Son because He bore the sin of mankind.

All punishment that I should bear.

Because I, not Jesus, am the sinner.

I am the one who deserves separation from God.

Yet His love for me, for all of us, was and is so great that He could not, and would not, let us continue to be estranged from Him.

Honestly, I try not to dwell on what happened on the Friday before the Resurrection. Because the weight of it smothers me. The darkness consumes me.

I look forward to Sunday when I celebrate with all the saints the wonder of His resurrection. The moment when death was conquered and mankind was redeemed.

And I am again reminded of the supreme sacrifice He made for me.

May I never take it for granted.

I realize that there may be readers of this blog who may be still questioning the authenticity of the claims of Jesus. I invite you to read "The Case for Christ" by Lee Strobel. His one question when he began his journey in writing this book was ‘Is there credible evidence that Jesus of Nazareth really is the Son of God?” What will your answer be?

Humbly,
Molly

No comments:

Post a Comment

Google Analytics Alternative