Sunday, January 17, 2010

What will you do with Him?

I just finished the book, "Learning to Soar". I highly recommend that you read it. (Check back here in a few days for a complete review.)

In the closing chapters, Avery Willis Jr. tells of learning the difference in having the Holy Spirit and being filled with the Holy Spirit. He reminds the reader that "the Spirit is given to us to teach, guide, empower, and use us for God's glory."

When we repent of our sins and accept Jesus as our Savior, the Holy Spirit moves in. 1 Corinthians 6:19 states "Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God?" (NIV). And in Ephesians 1:13 we are told "...Having believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance..." (NIV).

But what we do from that point on is, in many ways, up to us. I fear that many of us, this writer included, accept His Spirit as a deposit and only tap into a very minute portion of the power available to us. We under utilize that power partly because of our human self-focus. We ask for His wisdom when we want to know how to handle something. We ask for His comfort when we are in need. We ask for His guidance when we have a decision to make. And just as He promised, He is faithful to give us what is needed.

But what about the untapped power? The potential of what we can do or who we can become for God? When we change our motivation for seeking the Holy Spirit from what we think we need at the moment to opening ourselves to Him and His power to accomplish whatever He wants to through us, then I believe we will begin to see the outpouring of the Spirit.

In this morning's service the choir sung the song, "Holy Spirit Rain Down". As I listened to the words, it was like God was sending a holy echo from what I just finished reading. (You know God is speaking to you when He repeats himself. He knows just how many times He must do that for each of us!)

We are living in treacherous and desperate times. Lost and hurting people surround us, searching for significance and meaning that we know can only be found through Jesus Christ. I believe God is shouting from heaven for us to open the doors in our hearts that we have selfishly protected from a full indwelling of the Holy Spirit and to commit to do whatever God tells us to do.

We all have God given talents and potential that He wants to use for His glory. I don't know about you, but I don't want to stand before Him one day and find that I left untapped the power that was available and did not fulfill all that He prepared me to do. However, I confess that I am a work in progress. I wish I could say that when He speaks I immediately do an about face. But I don't. This faith walk is a step at a time, a day at a time.

But I am looking forward with anticipation to see what God is going to do in and through me as I daily ask anew to be filled with the Holy Spirit.

I pray that you will join me in this adventure with God. And I'm looking forward to hearing your stories of the great & mighty things that God is going to accomplish through your sold out heart.

Hugs,
Molly

No comments:

Post a Comment

Google Analytics Alternative