Wednesday, October 28, 2009

What happened to Suzy Homemaker?

First, let me tell you how thankful I am for my sweet hubby - that hubby who doesn't complain that I haven't cooked a meal all week. Who ate take-out food for 4 out of the past 5 nights and that one night? Well, the home cooked meal was provided by dear friends we visited on Sunday afternoon! Granted, I have been a bit under the weather this week and have spent more time snuggled under a blanket with a heating pad for my achy back than thinking about cooking. But it does make me wonder what happened to my inner Suzy Homemaker?

It's not that I hate to cook. In fact, I love to cook. I have my own mental cookbook filled with dishes that I can whip up without so much as thinking about a measuring spoon. On the other hand, I love to browse through magazines and cookbooks for new recipes to try. Since doing the whole Weight Watcher thing a couple of years ago I have become much more aware of the ingredients I use and have even been paying attention to (and learning!) the positive aspect of choosing organic foods. I conjure up all kinds of ideas about what I could cook or bake. It's just that Suzy is missing.

And it is not just cooking. I mean this whole cleaning house thing - like who decided it was so important to dust the furniture every week? And why doesn't that kitchen island that morphed into a catch all for everything just clean itself, for goodness sake. Geez, I do keep the laundry done - hey I do realize the need for clean clothes! Just please don't expect me iron them too! Suzy would do that but....yeah, she is still missing.

What about those other warm & fuzzies like getting family pictures organized, maybe even into a scrapbook with journaling to preserve our stories. Maybe even getting some of those photos in frames and hung on the wall to enjoy. My, oh my, do I ever miss Suzy. Wonder where that gal ran off to!

Wait a minute. I think maybe she didn't run off after all. I think she just is lost in the web of my disorganization and procrastination. Hmmm, wonder if I can find her? I'm betting I can but it will take a bit of work on my part. Like planning our evening meal menu for next week before I grocery shop this weekend and then stick to it. Try one of those new recipes this week. Complete one scrapbook page. Choose one task that I have proscrastinated the most or longest about and just do it!

Yep, I'm thinking that Suzy just may resurface around here. Maybe not the old Suzy, but a version that looks more like Molly who has a full schedule with family, work, church ministry and friends.

What about you? Are you a Suzy Homemaker or does it make you tired thinking about it? Would love to hear from you!

Hugs,
Molly

No comments:

Post a Comment

Google Analytics Alternative