Thursday, November 4, 2010

Anniversaries, etc.

Today marks a milestone in my husband's life and therefore, also in mine. Thirty-one years ago today he began a new job. A job that we were so sure he wouldn't get when he applied that we didn't even look to see where it was. But God... A phone call, a job offer and we got out the map to see where we were going. In a matter of two weeks we closed out our life in one state, loaded up all of our household goods in a Uhaul, and made a giant leap into the unknown. After spending four years in the Navy, He was experienced at living away from his hometown. On the other hand, I had never lived more than an hour away from my parents. They were deeply attached to our two sons. While I looked forward to this new adventure with my husband and children, a part of my heart broke because I was leaving behind my parents and what had been home for many years.

God's presence during our preparation to move and in those first few months was obvious. Every obstacle to the move was removed, one at a time. Though money was tight and we had adjustment issues with our oldest son, we continued to see Him provide in many different ways. I found a good church home and met a precious woman who became (and still is) my best friend.

And so today, as I do every year on November 4, we celebrate the anniversary of a new beginning in our lives. I pause to remember how God moved in our circumstances to bring us here. How it was obvious this was where He intended us to be.

Anniversaries are time markers. Whether it is a wedding anniversary, a birthday, or anniversary of the death of a loved one. The one common thread weaving through all of them is that it is a time of remembrance. Of the people we've known and places we have been, the things we have done, the places we have visited. But the most important remembrance should always be of what God has done for us. Remembering His faithfulness, His provision, His blessing. It is in remembering that we gain strength and confidence to face the future. Our God's faithfulness never wavers, His love never ceases.

Let's celebrate!

Hugs,
Molly

1 comment:

  1. Hi Molly - November 4 is an anniversary for my husband and I also. Seventeen years ago, John came home after a month long hospital visit for chemotherapy. Today we celebrate 17 years of him being cancer free and we give all the glory to God.

    Happy "anniversary" to you, also.

    ReplyDelete

Google Analytics Alternative