Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Tasty Tuesday - Kicking Canned Salmon Up a Notch

Here's the recipe I promised last week. My mouth is watering already just thinking about how yummy these are.

Chesapeake Spiced Salmon Cakes
Courtesy of Whole Foods Market.com

Ingredients:
1 can wild caught pink salmon, drained
1 2/3 cups panko breadcrumbs, divided
2 tsp Old Bay seasoning
1/3 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
¼ cup thinly sliced green onions
¼ cup finely chopped parsley
Salt & pepper to taste
2 Tablespoons mayonnaise
1 egg, lightly beaten
3 Tablespoons canola oil

In a large bowl, break up salmon into small pieces, discarding any pieces of bone or skin. Gently fold in 2/3 cup breadcrumbs, seasoning, bell pepper, onions, parsley, salt & pepper, mayonnaise and egg until combined. Shape into 12 small patties.

Transfer remaining 1 cup breadcrumbs to a wide, shallow dish. Gently coat each patty in breadcrumbs, shaking off any excess, and transfer to a large plate. Heat 2 Tablespoons canola oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Arrange 6 patties in the skillet in a single layer and cook, gently flipping once, until deep golden brown all over (2-3 minutes per side). Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate when done. Add the remaining oil to the skillet and heat. Repeat process with the remaining 6 patties. Serve hot.

Note: I absolutely LOVE crab cakes but will not pay the price for crab and refuse to use imitation crab. When I first tried this recipe I was hooked. It makes ordinary canned salmon taste just like the real deal, plus it is healthy! The only thing I change from this original recipe from Whole Foods© is I use Miracle Whip instead of mayo. That is simply because my husband and I prefer MW so I do not keep mayo in my pantry.

Hope y’all enjoy this as much as we have. Would love to hear your comments!

Happy Cooking,
Molly

No comments:

Post a Comment

Google Analytics Alternative